Monday, February 4, 2013

Houston and back.

It has been like FOREVER since I've posted something on my blog.  I think it was 2011.  Today is February 4, 2013.  It's a beautiful day, about 65 degrees on a clear day in the Sacramento area.  It's almost nice enough for me to forget about the 49ers losing the Super Bowl yesterday, but that's a whole 'nother subject.  We are all still sulking.  But, still proud of them, especially Kaepernick. 

Yesterday I returned from Houston after a 17 year hiatus.  I was only there for a quick visit (Fri night returned Sunday afternoon).  Unfortunately, it was due to my Uncle Leslie's funeral, but it was a beautiful service.  All of his siblings, except Michael, were able to attend.  But, Michael sent a statement read by Ray. 

I don't believe I've ever met Terri's daughter Jamyah before this trip.  I don't remember how old she is, but Tremaine and Treveyan are now all big and getting ready for college.  Both are tall and handsome, kind young men.  The last time I saw them they were babies. 

Treveyan (who they call Tre at times) wrote a fabulous and heartfelt poem to his grandfather.  It really touched me.  His writing skills are mature beyond his years.  I asked him to send me a copy.  I would post it but I don't want to get involved with copyright issues if he ever decides to publish his writing.  I hear that he likes to write poems. 

Interestingly, I found out some family history while I was there.  My uncle Leslie was a Jr.  And, he met his bio dad in an interesting set of circumstances.  I'd always known his last name was different than the family's but never thought about the 'other side' of that family. 

His 'sister' from this father got up and spoke.  In no way was she disrepectful or out of line, but she explained how it happened.  Both Leslie Sr and Leslie Jr ended up in the same hospital at the same time, with the same name and they discovered it was his long lost father.  From that meeting, he became acquainted with the rest of that family, including his sister (not sure if she is bio-sister, adopted, etc.) from that family.  The other irony is that her name is Ruby.  Why is that ironic?  Because Leslie's wife's name is Ruby.  How crazy, right?! 

I had the (un)fortunate honor of traveling with my nervous and fussy aunt.  Where do I begin with her.  I love her dearly, but when her nerves are bad she just can't keep herself together well, even if she thinks she's doing well.  She kept asking me if I knew what I was doing, even though I travel by plane to different cities regularly (about 20-30+ trips per year).  She questioned everything!  "Do you know where you are going?"  "Are you sure we have to get on this shuttle?" "How do you know blah, blah, blah?".  Even boarding the plane, she kept trying to tell me what to do.  She even told me "You can't have that on the plane" (referring to something that I take on 100% of my trips). 

Then, she had the nerve to be bossy on a trip that I funded for HER!  She paid nothing for this trip.  I covered her flight, hotel, rental car and food.  She complained about the flight.  "Can't you get a direct flight?"  I told her that she can get whatever she liked if she paid for it.  Then she wanted to know what type of hotel, and I only stay at 4-5 star hotels.  I had to tell her all of the information about 5 times or more.

On the plane, she insisted on sitting near the window, which is historically my seat.  I ended up sitting in the middle seat, and she was fussing the whole way. 

When we get into the car in Houston, my GPS wouldn't work, like it normally would.  Plus I neglected to enter the information in early, like I normally do because I thought I could find it (knowing it was close to the airport).  So, she starts panicking and getting hysterical and I pull over and tell her that I will get it to work.  She was FUSSING, FUSSING and FUSSING, saying "We need to call someone and get directions."  She said that about 5 times so I finally told her to call someone because I wanted her to stop talking to me.  So, she calls the hotel and wakes up one of her brothers to ask him how to get to the hotel.  The problem was (which I knew) is that I didn't even know exactly what street I was on, until I finally got my GPS to work.  I was only able to do it because she stopped talking to me.

Then, she kept talking OVER the GPS.  I asked her to hold my phone.  She talked over it.  I said, "Aunt Joyce, I need you to stop talking so that I can hear this"  So she says, "Ok, I'm going to stop talking so you can hear it, but I sure am glad that you got it to work.  Oh yeah, you need me to stop talking (blah, blah, blah)" so I finally said, "Aunt Joyce, I can't hear the GPS as long as you are still talking!"  OMG!!  This can't be real!!

Then at the hotel, I already told her that she could get her coffee in the room (she's super cheap).  But, she asked the hotel clerk if she could get it downstairs. The lady says yes, but I remind her that it costs money, so then she wanted to argue that it shouldn't.  OMG!!  Really?  Then, we find out our room is on the 9th floor.  She said "I don't know if I can sleep on the 9th floor".  And, then in the elevator, "I don't think I can take this elevator."  And, fussy about the plane ticket cost that she did NOT pay for!!!  I told her, "how can you beat free?!!"  Then, in the room "I'm going to need the room very warm"  She thought she saw a bug and got super freaked out even though I told her that it was just a crack in the ceiling.  I had to finally get a flashlight out to show her that I knew what I was talking about.  She says she's territorial in rooms and doesn't want me putting my stuff on the same side as hers (I paid for this room and I'm letting her stay for free!). Then, she asked if I knew how to turn on the TV, if the movies on the TV are free, do you know how to work this coffee maker, when are you going to take a shower, Tracy you need to go to sleep now...."  You get the point.  Next time, no more free trips because that fussing was a double penalty. 

Enough for now, but more later.  By the way, I still love my aunt Joyce but on the way home, thankfully my uncle Ray was on the same flight and I pawned her off onto him.  And, I sat in my own row.  I got to sleep and had some peace. 

Take care and God bless! 

No comments: